The Custom Design Process
Designing custom jewellery is a fun way and collaborative process. Even if you are not completely sure of what you are envisioning, we will work with you to draw out your ideas and preferences to create a piece of jewellery that is totally custom and perfect for your aesthetic and lifestyle. Below is a few of our most commonly asked questions.
What does the process of making custom jewellery involve?
Designing custom jewellery is easy and fun! Here is the process broken down into 5 steps:
- Design consultation - this can happen in person or over a video call. We will discuss what you are looking for, style preferences, gemstone preferences, budget, and even your lifestyle so that we can design a piece of jewellery that works for all parts of your life and aesthetic. If you're not sure exactly what you want, we'll show you examples and help you narrow down the choices.
- Quote – Keeping your preferences in mind, we work out a quote for you. If you'd like to go ahead, a 50% deposit is due. Our quotes are not set in stone, we can adjust the design in order to change the quote.
- Design and Gem Sourcing - We will source gems and diamonds for you, and complete sketches of design options for you to choose from. We will work with you to revise the design until it is perfect!
- Creation - Now you sit back while we make your jewellery! Depending on the design, this can take anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks. We can send you updates during the process if you’d like to see photos, or we can keep it a secret.
- The Big Reveal – Your jewellery is complete! You can come pick it up in person or we can ship it. At this point, you’ll pay the final balance.
What goes into the price?
The price of custom jewellery is determined by many factors, but most important is your budget. We tailor our designs and quotes to you – what you’d like in a custom piece and what you’d like to spend. The materials we use – gold, diamonds, gemstones, etc – affect the price greatly, and changing these variables will adjust the price. Labour is another factor. The more complex the design, the more time it will take to create, and that will influence the price. Correspondence and meeting times are factored into our quotes, but additional meetings or excessive design changes may incur additional charges.
How can I prepare for my consultation?
We have lots of experience designing and drawing your ideas out, even if you don’t realize you have ideas! (Amanda has even been called a mind reader when it comes to custom design.) The best way to prepare is to think about the following:
What would you like to see – colours, size, and shape. Are there any personal details you’d like included such as a birthstone, engraving, or initials? Do you like any art periods that we can draw inspiration from (we love Art Deco and Art Nouveau over here!) If you can describe any of the things you like, that would help. You can even send us photos for inspiration.
How do you tend to wear your jewellery – If you work with your hands, for example, we might suggest a different gemstone than if you work at a computer. Do you have allergies? Do you want to wear it every day or are we designing a special occasion piece? Knowing these factors will help us design a piece that is ideally suited for its purpose.