Jewellery Care Tips
Gold and silver jewellery is quite durable and can last for years, decades, and even centuries. That said, it sometimes your jewellery needs some TLC to keep sparkling.
Here are our top tips for taking care of your jewellery:
TAKING CARE OF SILVER
We use a special blend of sterling silver that is tarnish resistant. This means that Jewelust silver jewellery doesn't need to be cleaned quite as often as other brands of sterling silver.
Step 1: Prevention
1. The natural oils in your skin help keep silver clean, so just wearing your jewellery regularly is not only a great way to feel your best, but also clean your pieces at the same time.
2. Oils that are found in lotions and other products can make your silver jewellery dirty, so remember to apply your lotions first and let them absorb before you put your jewellery on.
3. The safest way to clean dirt and grease from your jewellery is to soak it in some room temperature water with a drop of soap. The water will soften the dirt and the soap will help de-grease. Then gently brush the dirt away with a clean, soft toothbrush.
4. To keep your silver from tarnishing when you're not wearing it, keep it in a sealed container or plastic bag. Tarnish is caused by sulfur and moisture in the air. Protecting your jewellery from the air means less tarnish.
Step 2: Cleaning
1. If you're not wearing your jewellery regularly, tarnish is inevitable. When it's time to clean your silver, our favourite method is easy and can be done safely in your own kitchen! All you need is water, baking soda, aluminum foil, and a bowl. If your piece is silver only (no gemstones or pearls) you may use hot or boiling water. If your piece has gemstones or pearls, however, DO NOT use boiling water. Many gems are too fragile to withstand it.
2. Place the aluminum foil in a bowl. Add a tablespoon of baking soda on top of the foil, then add a cup of water. Simply place your jewellery in the bowl, and wait for it to clean (note that exceptionally tarnished jewellery may take longer). Check on it every 5 minutes.
3. Remove jewellery from the water (with tongs if you used boiling water), and gently brush each piece with a clean, soft toothbrush.
4. Repeat until your jewellery is clean, and then allow it to dry.
Taking care of your Whirl Collection Jewellery:
Important: do not rub the surface of the Whirl jewellery with a polishing cloth.
We use a special technique to build up the surface of the silver in order to further reduce potential for tarnish. Rubbing it with a polishing cloth will slowly remove that protective layer. Additionally, a polishing cloth will change the satin finish of the jewellery.
Only use the above cleaning method for cleaning your Whirl jewellery.